market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: California peaches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: California peaches
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:39:09 +0000

As a Californian and a grower of peaches (although they are not a major part
of my farm operation), I have to take exception with this as a general
statement. I would reword it as follows:

"Don't believe for a minute that produce shipped cross country (or cross
borders) is "better". It is emphatically NOT better."

Any produce that's picked before it's ripe, stored in warehouses where there
is gas pumped in to prevent etyhlene gas from ripening the produce, treated
with other chemicals to prevent spoilage, and placed in refrigerated
trucks/boats/trains to be shipped 500-5000 miles from where it is grown will
have all of the negative qualities you list.

My California-grown peaches are juicy, fragrant and wonderful. But they
don't ship well. I sell them to local grocery stores and at the farmer's
market, because one short trip is all they can handle.

The same applies to my tomatoes, Gravenstein apples, nectarines,
strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and pretty much ANY fruit. Root
vegetables, and even things like squash and peppers are much more amenable to
shipping and storage.

Roger Weeks

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:01:40 -0600, you wrote:

> And don't believe for a minute that California peaches
>are "better". They are emphatically NOT better. They are hard as a rock and
>will not ripen. They have no flavor. They are horrible. Quality is not a
>part of the equation because free choice for the consumer is not an option
>in the supermarket.

  • [Market-farming] Re: California peaches, rjweeks70, 03/31/2004