market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ginger root

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ginger root
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:12:51 -0500

I grew it this year. I think I already wrote about it to this list. I bought ginger by the case from the coop and cut it by the eye like you would spuds. It was BEAUTIFUL, but I had it outdoors and even remay didn't help it make it through the first frost (although everything else was fine...under remay) I'm starting it earlier this year. It tasted SO GOOD and the CSA really appreciated it! And, yest, I sold it with the greens still attached...so people could go home and pot it if they wanted. -Allan

Last year one of the Asian families at our Minneapolis Farmer's Market had
ginger root for sale. They were small roots and he left the plants on.
Does anyone have any experience growing ginger in northern climates? Where
would one find the seed stock? Or could you just cut up root from the
grocery store and plant them?