market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] row covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] row covers
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:59:42 -0500

We use 5 to 8 pound rocks spaced about every 12" for heavy winds (30 mph+). We put really heavy (15 lbs+) rocks on the ends usually 3 to an end. This is where most of the stress is and for covers to stay on they need to stay as tight as possible over the hoops. We also will put hoops over the covers to keep them on or at least keep the covers from blowing away. But it is VERY important to have the covers pulled as tight as possible before anchoring the edges. This is one of the several reasons I do not like to bury the edges-if the covers loosen up (which they will after a few days in weather) it is a big job to unearth the edges and get the them tight. Earth covered edges also make it really hard to remove the covers to check crops for weeds and bugs which should be done at least every 3 to 5 days, if not daily. Rocks are a pain in many ways but they are easy to remove and put back on and it is easy for two people to pull a cover tight without removing the rocks. At a certain point the covers just don't want to stay on and we just wait out the weather. We have had several storms lately with 40 mph sustained winds with 60 mph gusts.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste