market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] row covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Steinberg <mstein AT mail.wclynx.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] row covers
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:43:04 -0800

We live in a very windy area and need to use row cover on most of our crops. After three years of frustration, we finally have discovered that the use of 1/2 each rebar seems to solve the problem. We have purchased about 3 1/2 tons over the past three years-we then cut the 20' sections into 10' pieces and lay them on both sides of the row cover-use about a 10' gap between each 10' section. On the windward side, we tuck about 12" of row cover under the rebar-on the other side we just place the rebar close to the edge of the row cover and pick up this side when we harvest, weed, trap gophers, etc.