market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] question about zoning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] question about zoning
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:19:02 +0000

Hi All,

I agree strongly with Robert's defense of sustainable zoning. I live in NJ
just north of Trenton in one of the last semi-ag areas of central NJ. Water
and soil sustainability is critical here, as most of the Twp. draws from
wells and uses septics. Studies have shown that our shale soils and limited
water generally won't sustain high-density development, and we all know that
sewers and public water bring a level of development that we do not want.

Our re-zoning here (and I was on the local council that did it) went
basically to 6 acres and 13 acres in two different zones, based on
sustainability. It was controversial for the very reasons mentioned by the
original posting. We also took out almost all future office park and
commercial zoning, since the previous council had approved development of
about 16 million sq. ft. (the mythical and unwinnable 'clean ratables chase')
that ate up farmland and that will burden us will traffic and demand for
services forever.

To offset the reduction of land sale opportunities, we can offer buyouts of
development rights to farmers and other landowners who are committed to
preserving their land. We have a state ag preservation program, very active
non-profits (which focus mostly on open space rather than farmland), and
county and local preservation taxes which also contribute. These preservation
offers are made based on market value. However, landowners around here are
often sold a bill of goods by developers who make inflated offers contingent
upon x number of houses being approved. After the approval process, it's
usually x-30% due to percs, water, setbacks, roads, wetlands, etc, and the
landowner gets basically what he would have received from a preservation
offer anyway. That's a hard point to get across. Projections are that NJ will
be the first of 50 states to run out of developable land, and once it's gone,
it's gone forever.

Bob Higgins
Red Brick Farm
Hopewell, NJ