market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Refrigeration

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Refrigeration
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:46:56 -0600

> When buying used equipment make SURE that the unit takes the most curent
> form of refrigerant otherwise it will cost you an arm and two or three legs
> when it needs to be recharged.

FWIW: I have two walkins, one 8x16, the other about 12x18. They each
cost about $1500 used, setup and working. The older one ran about ten
years with no trouble at all. They both started out R12. When the
older one developed a leak, I had it changed over to the newer
refrigerant. That compressor lasted one year more. I've had at least
three new compressors between the two coolers, each time it cost $1K or
more.

My recommendation is to not be afraid of used equipment, but be
prepared to make emergency repairs. Have a a refrigeration guy lined
up and have funds in reserve for a new compressor.

Nothing is more alarming than coming in early Saturday morning to
prepare to go to market and find that you have a cooler full of product
and no cooling.

I've never had a compressor go out at a convenient time.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html