market-farming - [Market-farming] Refrigeration

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Refrigeration
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:23:28 -0600

Neil,
I use an old refrigerated (actually freezer) truck box, 7' x 15' which cost
me about $500. The refrigeration unit that was in it did not work. I got
some used refirgeration eqpt to replace it. The technician who put it in
cost a lot more than the box! If I was doing it again I would buy a brand
new compressor and fan but be sure to get the kind that come "pre-plumbed".
The people who sell dDIY cooler boxes sell them.
> Thanks again Allan and everyone else who has responded.I am also
interested
> in opinions on walk in coolers. What are people using for refrigeration
and
> how they like it. I plan on building a cooler this spring so any
suggestions
> would be appreciated.
There are plans on the web and other places for converting a window AC unit
to run a cooler but I was not cmfortable doing it myself and my
refrigeration man would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

When buying used equipment make SURE that the unit takes the most curent
form of refrigerant otherwise it will cost you an arm and two or three legs
when it needs to be recharged.

Adriana

(There is a junk yard in Birmingham which has about 20-30 of these
refrigerated trucks, they bought out the fleet of a dairy that was replacing
ttheir trucks.)