market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] living mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] living mulch
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:40:54 -0700

Bob, from what I've experienced, yes, it can get out of control.  Apparently WD Clover kicks into reseed its second year, but is also a low creeping variety so as it creeps, it reseads.

I was warned strongly when I planted an area with WDC that it can become quite invasive - and once it reseeds, the seeds remain domant in the soil if turned under, thus having potential to be considered a weed.  I decided that in the area I have it growing (its used as a cover crop in an acre plot) that it would be fine if it were to reseed, being that I intend the area as a grazing pasture and will reseed it with a pasture mix after discing in the clover anyway.  Having clover come back up would be fine.

I've also noticed that it has flowered this year (its first year), maybe that doesn't imply that it will go to seed. ?