market-farming - [Market-farming] Packaged Corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Packaged Corn
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:26:00 EDT

<<I saw corn package like this in a store it all had it ends off and it was
wrapped on a styrofoam tray.  It was organic I believe (upscale store) and
it was pricey, don't remember.  I laughed, I am sure the cut ends were icky
and it looked nice and neat.  How much did you get for your packages?  Beth>>

For corn in husks, I've been charging 3-4 ears for $1, if the corn looks good.  When I packaged it, I weighed it out to 1.25 lbs (about the same weight as 2.5 - 3 regular ears), & charged $2 a package for it.  I recently saw it packed on styro at the grocer for $3.58 for 4 ears (with the tops lopped off - & NOT organic cert).  That comes out to about 90 cents an ear!  My customers wouldn't pay it, but someone around here is!  I'm in the NCentral Texas area.

-Maridian Carlton
Bridgeport, TX