market-farming - [Market-farming] hail and subscriptions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] hail and subscriptions
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:33:03 -0400

As some on the list remember I was facing the possibility of lean picking
this year for our CSA due to the severely poor weather too cool, too wet,
seeds rotting in ground and stuff refusing to grow. "Everyone" said well
the folks share in the risk but in a way thats not totally good enough for
my conscience so I came up with back up stuff to pass out. So far amazingly
I have only used one. I gave out an egg sampler one each of a brown egg and
a white egg, I cut egg cartons into two packs and they looked really cute
and many have commented on how good they were. I usually sell my eggs for
25 cents each.

My next "weird" thing to pass out if I need a filler is note cards. I took
pics I had in my computer and printed them on card stock (I haven't printed
quite enough yet). I will probably give out 4 or maybe 2 for two weeks in a
row.

Due to some amazing good luck I have had enough to be normal early summer
pickup; the luck: Strawberries are the best they've been in a few years and
this week I am letting folks pick 3 pints. They are happy campers.

I wanted to expand my spring offerings this year beyond lettuce and swiss
chard so I transplanted napa cabbage, bok choy and arugula in late spring
under row cover. The arugula bolted kind of quick but not before a week of
a taste for everyone. The bok choy lasted two weeks and the napa is going
to last two or three weeks. The lettuce was about a week late but I had the
above and the eggs. The swiss chard never grew and has just been replanted

This week a bit of broccoli is ready it is bolting due to rather cool to
above 90 in a day. But it tastes ok. I had this weed rose bush and wild
daisies and herb flowers I let folks pick and those who like flowers were
pleased with those. Next week I think we'll have sugar snap peas :). I
might still have broccoli, but I am afraid of a gap before summer squash and
the swiss chard and the beans but I've got my note cards and maybe some
quick bread or grape nut pudding (farm eggs).

I like this suggestion although while I expect a reasonable amount of things
like potatoes and tomatoes its iffy that it will be a ton so I couldn't use
this this year :).

Regards to the list:

Jean, during our first year of our CSA, torrential spring rains ruined
all our early plantings. I offered money back or more stuff later and
everyone took more stuff later. We really piled the stuff on in the
shares and everyone renewed the next year.

Marie in Missouri