market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tips for Side Dressings Vegetable Crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tips for Side Dressings Vegetable Crops
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:39:36 -0400

Michael, When I said I apply 14-7-14 that ratio matches my soil
conditions, you will have to find a ratio best suited for your soil.
Corn is not very particular about ratios and in most cases 10-10-10 will
be enough. I also have used an organic feritlizer called Fertrell 4-2-4
with good results when applied at 1000 pounds per acre.

When I first started out I had two acres of corn, I sidedressd using a
cheap plastic 2 gallon watering can with most of the spout cut back to
allow the fertilizer to flow easily, then I simply walked down each row
letting it flow in a band along the row than came back with the
cultivator to mix it in the soil.
You can purchase many types of sidedressers for mounting on a cultivator
and even spinner spreaders that broadcast the fertilizer over the top of
the corn ...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.