market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Fish

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Courtney McLeod" <cmcleod AT imscompany.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Fish
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:32:56 -0400

I have read where a nursery had Tilapia (fish) in tanks, then they
hooked their irrigations system up to the fish tank. Then that water is
what is used to water and feed the plants. Since fish, shellfish is
such a great fertilizer!! Granted, this place was hydroponics, but I
don't see why it can't be done any other way! I would love to try it!

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 3:50 PM
My name is Merle Herrmann, I live on the Oregon south coast in Coos
Bay/North Bend. I became aware of "aquaponics", specifically the S&S
system
designed by Tom and Paula Speraneo in January of 2001. By November of
that
year I had constructed a 20'x28' greenhouse here on the property and
stocked
it with fish in December. I have been selling produce and fish to the
local
health food stores, restaurants, and individuals since.