market-farming - [Market-farming] Introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "James H. Corey" <1corey AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Introduction
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:42:55 -0400

I am also new to the list, which I heard about from Johnny's.

I have a farm in Upstate, South Carolina, which for many years was a
dairy farm. I now have greenhouse in which I have been growing
hydroponic strawberries, during the winter months, for 4 years now. I
sold to grocery stores for a couple of those years, but with a 4 year
old at home, have gone to all U-pick. We pick from December - April,
and then sell all of the plants to garden centers. We plant 9000 plugs
in September, and the first fruit appears late November. We use bees
for pollination, and feed three times a day.

I am also starting cutting and u-pick gardens to extend my season where
I will offer blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, herbs, some
vegetables, and cut flowers - along with a garden center area of potted
plants and items such as planters and stakes.

I am enjoying the list, especially as I sit here, inside, on another
rainy day in the South!

Pam Corey
Rose Hill Plantation