market-farming - [Market-farming] Yellowing Spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Yellowing Spinach
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 06:57:35 -0400

The perfect spring for late spinach in this area (VA) with all the cool weather and rain, but mine is about ready to pick and has become a sickly yellow. Raised beds, good drainage, lots of OG, but my pH is 8.5. It appears that chlorosis (?) appears in spinach at pHs over 7!

I've searched the web on ideas of lowering the pH (something I've never had to do before ;-) and working in wettable suphur seems to be the fix. I'm wondering, however, if this spinach can be saved or it it is lost and I should get something else in that bed (along with sulphur)

I'd sure like to save the spinach, but how long does it take the sulphur to lower the pH? Are there other ways of bringing color back into the spinach?

thanks

-Allan