market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Markets for non-food items?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cyndi Norman <cyndi AT tikvah.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: , cyndi AT tikvah.com
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Markets for non-food items?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 05:02:42 -0000

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:20:10 -0500
From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>

Cyndi - we have a soap-maker at our market who seems to do quite well -
she doesn't come every week but I think she could and still make it
worth her while. We are in an upscale location in mid-town Kansas city
and our market is organic so our prices are quite high. We get a great
run-out every week and lots of enthusiasm. Gayl (the soap maker) told
me just this morning that she had one sale today for $160. She also
does some skin care items.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I think my expenses (not counting cost to
make the soap) would be about $100-150 per market so if I could make that
much in profit it would be worth it.

I sold soap a couple of years ago at our market but don't have time
anymore to do that - but it sold well and always was a nice extra amount
each week - I think if you can produce enough you'll find its worth your
while to try it.

If it's true in Kansas it's probably true here too.

Folks coming to farmers' markets are looking for "safe" products, I just
had a customer tell me that today.

Yes, a lot of people are. That's the customer base I cater to as well.
Those with chemical sensitivity, allergies, or plain not interested in
toxic ingredients. "Safe."

BTW - I was born in Petaluma and no one here had ever heard of it when I
was a kid - now its the cradle of organic food it seems -

I went to the Organic Trade Association Conference and Trade Show a couple
of weeks ago (which was great...I go every year). It was in Austin, Texas
and it draws people from all over the world. I just moved to Petaluma in
January and when I told people where I was from (or they saw my name tag)
pretty much every one knew where it was. There were several companies from
Petaluma there. I love this town :-)

Cyndi

Petaluma, California Zone 9 USDA; Zone 15 Sunset Western Garden
Guide
Chemically sensitive/disabled - Organic Gardening only by choice and
neccessity
Cyndi
Norman
Handcrafted organic soaps & cosmetics
cyndi AT tikvah.com
Organic bedding, safety equipment
http://www.tikvah.com/
_________________ Owner of the Immune Website & Lists
http://www.immuneweb.org/

  • Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Markets for non-food items?, Cyndi Norman, 06/02/2003