market-farming - [Market-farming] side of the road flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] side of the road flowers
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:42:07 -0400

Given the prices that most of the side of the road flower vendors charge I
can't imagine they are purchasing them from local or even American growers.
Yes the flowers were grown somewhere but at what cost?

See

http://www.emagazine.com/may-june_1999/0599curr_flowers.html

I don't think any small farmer/flower grower could raise flowers cheaply
enough to sell to side of road sellers. If I ever developed my flower
growing it will only be retail and or to quality venues for fair price (to
me). While of course I want to make some money on my growing I really want
the satisfaction of having my product appreciated.

"Side of the road" or "Cheap Food" mentality is part of the problem in
attracting customers to small farms. I am optimistic that there is a
growing clientele.

Beth

  • [Market-farming] side of the road flowers, Hook Family, 05/27/2003