market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pick your own strawberry operation.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Palmer <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pick your own strawberry operation.
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 19:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Franklin and the rest of the list
We market about 1/4 of our strawberries through
u-pick, our goal is about 50 50 u-pick fresh market.
We have a higher profit margin on the berries that we
pick and sell at our stand, but it seems it gets
harder each year to find reliable help to pick. We
also find the u-pick folks will pick the field cleaner
then we do for our already picked premium berries.
I've seen market studies saying the u-pick market is
on a decline, but we feel that if there is the right
advertising and promotions you can still bring folks
to your farm for u-pick. As Del stated a good
liability policy is important.
A little advice on growing berries, I would never
attempt it without a good irrigation system, we use an
overhead system because of frost control here in NY,
but if frost is not a concern then drip would be more
efficient. It's best to start small and grow into
your market. Also berries are very labor intensive,
especially if growing them organic.
Don Palmer western NY
Palmer's Fruits & Vegetables
www.palmersfarm.com