market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Russian Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Wages <jwages AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Russian Squash
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:38:44 -0800

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be Odessa, a pale green
zucchini. Grown last year by us, it had exceptional flavor for a
zucchini (which I tend to think of as rather bland in comparison with
crookneck or patty pan squash), and customers at our local farmers'
market loved it.

Ours was grown with corn, and it seemed fairly productive in comparison
with other zucchini and summer squash. It did succumb to squash vine
borer, as did all our summer squash, even the C. moschata that was said
to be resistant. The vine borer is a real problem for us. One might
hope that, as we improve our soil (last year was our first year on this
land), plants will become stronger in general and somewhat more
resistant; whether this will have any effect on the borer remains to be
seen. Any suggestions on organic strategies are appreciated.

Our Odessa seed came from Abundant Life Seed Fdn.
(www.abundantlifeseed.org), but other companies may have it as well. I
assume from the name that it is of Russian origin.

John Wages
Calceterra Farm
Tupelo, MS