market-farming - [Market-farming] scallions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] scallions
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:12:13 -0500

I like the technique I read about here and elsewhere of starting bunches
from seed in cell trays, pre-bunched by cell then transplanting to the
field. Harvest is a snap as they are already bunched. Questions:
- How soon after seeding should they be transplanted?
- Are any varieties better than others
- At what spacing should these bunches be planted in the field
- What price can you get at market?

I grow for CSA so in a way any veggie is worthwhile in that its the variety
that is "the product" if in eary summer you have any item extra besides
lettuce and swiss chard its like WOW, so I really liked the scallions I had
last year which was first time I really fussed with them.

I had read about above tech. I really liked it I will caution I planted in
units of 6 and sometimes one would not be as big as the other 5 ok for CSA
though.
I plant my seed in house in late Feb and then into ground sometime in April
usually late as opposed to early due to wetness. They were fine. Beth