market-farming - [Market-farming] Mulches, O.M. incorporation and building soil O.M.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mulches, O.M. incorporation and building soil O.M.
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:05:50 -0600

The message was converted from html to plain format:

Steve Smoot wrote:
> [...]
since the hay was deep, it was difficult to get water completely thru to the
roots early in the season. Where the covering was shallow, the potatoes grew
out of the hay and by August, alot were green from the sun. Finally, expect
the seeds in the hay to germinate. My very cautious idea of using a single
bale of blue grass straw in the garden many years ago still comes to mind as
an absolute disaster.

-----

We have grown potatoes (Ruth Stout method) under copious amount of hay cover
for around 30 years. My wife prefers it, but I am pretty sure that the
yields do suffer. Because we have to increase production for our market
farming sales, we likely will try some row cropping as well and do a
comparison.

We have not had much problem with weeds as we normally can easily pull them
out of the hay as they grow up through. And because the moisture level stays
higher under the mulch, they pull out more easily than nearby soil that is
getting dry. The important thing is to pull them before they get very large
or else their roots can jerk loose too much mulch as you pull them out. And
if you don't use enough cover, the solanin gets to be a problem since it
apparently is in a higher quantity in the green (chlorophyll) areas that
have light exposure.

best time to incorporate organic material into the soil. Wood chips make
darn good mulch in the paths and especially around perennials.

I do have an important advantage in the Spring - well drained soil. Very,
very well drained soil. Very . . . you get the idea!

-------

We have a fairly good soil, but with a heavy clay loam and more of a clay
subsoil.

Now here is my question: How much organic matter increases of the soil
actually comes about from tilling in organic matter?

It was only recently that I am finding that for the most part, mulches are
not effective in doing this, especially when on the surface. From what I am
understanding, the main determinant of building soil O.M. is from actually
plants that produce roots that then die and become incorporated as O.M.

Does anyone have any really current information on this?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce