market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Tips for wet spring gardening?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Smoot <steveshome AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Tips for wet spring gardening?
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:45:58 -0600

I've had significant mouse damage on potatoes grown under hay. Also, since the hay was deep, it was difficult to get water completely thru to the roots early in the season. Where the covering was shallow, the potatoes grew out of the hay and by August, alot were green from the sun. Finally, expect the seeds in the hay to germinate. My very cautious idea of using a single bale of blue grass straw in the garden many years ago still comes to mind as an absolute disaster.

I much prefer to cultivate deep and plant. Also, Fall seems to be the best time to incorporate organic material into the soil. Wood chips make darn good mulch in the paths and especially around perennials.

I do have an important advantage in the Spring - well drained soil. Very, very well drained soil. Very . . . you get the idea!