market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: bob AT akasha.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dogs
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:54:29 -0500

Title: Re: [Market-farming] dogs
Invite all your neighbors over for a free BBQ and serve dog that was harvested from your free range dog ranching facilities. Be sure to tell them your favorite breeds for flavor and so on. If you want you could substitute goat as most of the city folk would not know the difference on the spit. Let them know the laws of branded and non branded. Collars don't count you can resell those.
Bob
One of the initiation rites of the infantry unit I with in Vietnam was when we went through a village all of the green soldiers were told to buy the banana leaf wrapped meat sold by the street vendors.  Everyone would watch as they ate, (and actually is was pretty tasty, cooked up nice and spicy).  And then when the green kids were finished eating they was told, as everyone laughed, that it was dog meat. It was interesting to see how someone who was enjoying a meal one moment was deathly ill the next.

I guess cultural training is really overwhelming.

We have a friend from Ghana who, when he is in the country stays with us. He says that there is a tradition from his part of the country, as a wedding gift, the brides brothers give the new husband there dogs, all cooked up.  The story is that the tradition behind this comes from when people were hunters and of course a hunter's dog is his best friend. So by the gift of killing his dog he was showing the new member of the extended family that he was valued above his best friend.

Now, I wish I had someone to give those wild dogs to, the ones that came through our place last winter and killed 6 goats before I got outside with my shotgun.