market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe justprovoking:)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe justprovoking:)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 06:59:29 -0600

Rick W. wrote:
> My view on this is that those who are uncomfortable with being labeled,
need
> to step back and find out why others view them that way. And if they are
> being unfairly labeled, they need to let it be known.
>
> > There are all sorts of
> > things that I agree with with my Republican friends, and some that I
> > disagree with. Many of them, like you, can not acknowledge corporate
> > welfare. They can only see government control when it is for the
> > benefit of
> > the greater good.
>
> You are mischaracterizing my views completely with the above statement.
When
> I discuss corporate welfare, I am mostly the messenger and remind people
why
> we have it. Not that I necessarily support it. We do need some government
> control, but the degree is in the eye of the beholder.

That is not what I understood from our communications - I read you to be
denying that corporate welfare was "stacking the playing field", and that
you denied that it was corporate welfare at all, and denied that it
benefitted some over others unfairly. If you are were and are now admitting
that there is such a thing as corporate welfare, and that it favors some
over others, then I stand corrected. We may decide, as a society, that we
want to favor some farming practices/enterprises over others, but we have
not had that discussion as a society - the decisions of whom to favor have
been made in other ways.

I see you as a messenger as much as I see anyone else a messenger. But I
see you as firmly steeped in your worldview. You do know a lot about your
topic, but you, as all of us, interpret things through your lenses. Which
is why I find it ironic that you label others so vociferously. I might
remind you, too, that the center these days is awfully far to the right -
and that you are characterizing yourself as being in today's center. Or
perhaps you are referring to a past center that has disappeared.

I do find your posts on market farming to be thoughtful on the actual
farming issues, and I support the efforts of you and your family to raise
grass fed beef.

One final thing - if you look at people's views, you will find that they
fall upon a circle graph, rather than a line - some people are right
authoritarian, some left authoritarian, some right libertarian, some left
libertarian. Although that is a wider interpretation than a line, I suspect
that it would be more accurate to characterize people's views as falling
somewhere within a sphere, rather than a circle. Your "true right" and
"true left" definitions exclude a lot of reality.
Also sincerely,
Jill