market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:43:59 -0500

No tomato hybrid or OP is resistant to virus's during the growing season,
last summer, Tomato spotted wilt virus was a big problem in the mid atlantic
area, spread by thrips, it didn't matter what tomato variety you grew. The
big danger with saving seed is carrying over a virus on the seed that infects
the new crop, I dont know if this happens on tomatoes but it does on other
crops. One thing for sure if you had any bacterial disease on last summers
tomatoes then you will have infected seed. Always treat your saved seed with
a chlorox drench before planting...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

It would seem that those varieties without