market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:36:08 -0500

Your statement, " Overall the trial did prove to suffer from
disease a lot more than hybrids" is precisely my concern. I not
only want to provide a reliable supply of vegetables, but also do
not want to convert the garden or the earth into a breeding
ground for disease. It would seem that those varieties without
resistance are natural hosts to virus, blight, and other and the
garden then become a breeding site to propagate more. The cost
savings of the seed would then seem small in comparison to the
risks. Yes, I want the flavor, and yes I would love to save
seeds, but at what short or long term risks?

Clarence W. and Lisa J. Walker
Rainbow's End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road
Stuart, Virginia 24171