market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:11:34 -0500

> With the cost of seed being what it is and the need to be assured of
> production for my shareholders it would seem that the ability to save seed
> from year to year might end up costing dearly?

>Yes, I want the flavor, and yes I would love to save
>seeds, but at what short or long term risks?

Hi Clarence! Seems to me these are questions to ask your shareholders.
It's a great way to involve them and truly make your farm their "community".
But your CSA members will need the facts on the heirloom's special needs &
demands on the farm/farmer before making a decision.....

While the whole issue of seed-saving has a certain aura of romance and
attraction to sustainable growers & the general public, its practical
connotations for commercial
production push the farmer into taking time away from actual crop
production. He/she has now become the "manufacturer" of
the raw goods the farm needs to produce (no pun intended ; )) the farm
products. Which might mean less product in the end for more labor. Are
CSA members
willing to risk this?? Or can they provide the labor??

I grow heirlooms for their "entertainment/experimental" value, and the
variety & color they added to my tables (and occasionally, as a favor to
customers, who'd hand me seeds they'd found in a jar at grandma's.) But
instead of worrying about spacing & pollination, I happily pay for the
convenience of letting someone else handle that, so I order the seed along
with the hybrids. Both heirlooms and hybrids have a place on the farm, but
I wouldn't shove aside the workhorse hybrids to make room for finicky
heirlooms.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC