market-farming - RE: Windbreaks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Fred & Rose Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Windbreaks
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:26:56 -0500

I haven't followed this thread closely, but I do recall two authors
recommending windbreaks: Elliot Coleman and Lynn Byczynski. The latter is
the author of "The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and
Selling Cut Flowers".

Cutflowers are especially in need of windbreaks if wind is a problem on open
land. Tall high-end flowers like delphiniums would suffer, and even if they
don't go down, their stems don't stay straight and their $ value suffers.
Although there is netting that can be purchased to allow tall stems to grow
through and prevent the wind from doing aesthetic damage.

Rose