market-farming - Re: End of the Season Whine Session

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: End of the Season Whine Session
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:52:31 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/02 10:53:43 PM Central Daylight Time, steve AT mrlucky.com writes:

I also have been told twice that there is a glut of tomatoes and chile
peppers are covered, thank you, so I can't sell. The pie is only so big and
I'd be ruining it for the others.

I would saythat the market manager does not want any competition in the market for themselves.  This market manager would have to show me a rule that has been in place that only so many people can sell tomatoes and peppers.  This is not market management but market control and something needs to be done to get rid of the market manager.  I am a market manager and there is no other reason to limit produce except to protect thyself.  We encourage new vendors to our market of all types of produce and any other product that we can come with even though our market is over full with vendors.  We even have ladies selling avon products, soaps, art, music playing, an organ grinder, wicker makers, rug makers, spinners selling wool, crafters and etc.  In order to draw large groups of people from all walks of life you need to get a good market mix.  Just produce is boring.

We have tried to do some TV adds in Sept.  but have felt that it was not reaching the right target market.  After school starts we seem to only lose about 10% of our normal crowd of people but we still have not lost our regular buyers that come every week regardless if it is rains or the sun shines.

The community that this market is in is not really affluent, mostly just hard working people.  The market is going to have to be moved next year because the is no room to grow, we need to grow in order to sucessfully reach our goal for the market.  This town is in a large urban renewal progarm and I really think that the right location for our expansion is in the downtown area of the city.  I could be wrong but street vending on the sidewalk has worked good in other towns in our country and I fell it will work here.  We could probably cover a block right now with unlimited amount space. for the future.

Phil From Iowa