market-farming - End of the Season Whine Session

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: End of the Season Whine Session
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:40:21 -0700

As my first season winds down, I want to thank you all for some great tips
and of course ask for some more advice and opinions.

I'm sure this is common knowledge but it took some people 3 or 4 weeks of
checking me out before they'd buy, or buy in any bulk. Once I talked to
them, I ussually had them. I grew very specialized varieities of common
vegetables and I really think the "stories" helped. At one market I actually
made a lot of money, until the customers dwindled after labor day.

I'd say my biggest gripe is market managers. Are there any on the list that
can respond? I don't understand why there isn't a push for publicity after
September.

I also have been told twice that there is a glut of tomatoes and chile
peppers are covered, thank you, so I can't sell. The pie is only so big and
I'd be ruining it for the others. I know we've discussed this a bit but to
me the competition is Safeway and the produce departments of the grocery
stores, not each other. And having Brandywine and Green Zebras does not mean
you have the heirloom tomato market covered! I have other produce and 16
varieties of tomatoes that no one else was selling. A lot of the vendors
were selling red tomatoes and a sign that said "Heirloom Tomatoes". Well
that doesn't mean anything!

So I was talking to my local manager, who wouldn't let me sell this year
because I was too late applying. I asked how to fix this for next year and
she said I couldn't because she has to take care of her existing vendors,
who apparently are barely making it. I said having more vendors makes the
market more interesting and brings in more people, like me before I was
grower. I stopped going to the market because it's so average. This didn't
go over well (I thought it would?). There are plenty of other markets very
nearby so it's no the end of the world but it frosts me that I can't sell in
my own town!!!

I live in a very upscale tourist/boomer/yuppie town. I promise there is no
limit to the number of foodies that would support more and better produce.
There may be some education required but not much.

So am I totally off base?

Steve