market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:16:45 -0500

Paul and barb - on the continental divide wrote:
> Growers who don't claim the organic label or other eco-label don't have to
> pay these fees and jump through hoops. There are all kinds of regulations
> and inspections throughout the process from grower to middleman to grocer.

It is true that there are many regulations. And they need to be. Every
regulation for food safety is there for a reason and the reason is often
that someone (or many) died and others lobbied their government to do
something about it. This was many years ago.

> None of them pay for inspections. To me the bottom line is, it's
> a fine for
> growing organically. Think we should pay for all this testing
> etc.? Do beef
> packing houses pay for government inspections? No. Do industries have to
> pay for OSHA inspections and DOL inspections? No. Why organics?

I believe that you are quite incorrect on some of the assertions above.
Particularly in terms of packing houses not paying for inspections. Do you
believe that even the milk marketing of the USDA is free to dairy farmers
(as an example)?

The organic fees are not going to the government but primarily to the
certifying agency. But yes, the inspection fees do go to the government.

In addition, if any violations of OSHA regs are found (and they pretty much
always are when an inspection is done) the inspected entity often is fined
and at the very least must use the fine money for correcting any
deficiencies.

For those of us who do the kind of work I am involved with in area of
facilities management/environmental services, we see frequent fines of some
the largest companies and they can get in the million dollar class.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers