market-farming - well digging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: well digging
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:13:00 -0700 (PDT)

Lots of different factors involved in this. When you say "spring", what
sort of flow (gal. per minute), what are the soils,rock or sand, is there
water there year round or just at certain times. Where is the ditch and
exactly what is it harvesting for water? One old method is just to dig in
a well casing on the spot, if there truely is a flow, it will fill. If it
fills really well, it might be a good spot to invest in putting in a well.
Here in Idaho, the local Soil Conservation office can arrange for a free
visit from a hydrologist to look at your wetlands. It helps a huge amount
to have someone who knows, take a look at the specifics of the site.

> Regards to the list:
>
> Recently, we had some bulldozer work done to repair a ditch crossing
> and in the process, found a spring in the bottom of the ditch.
>
> What is the next step to collecting the water so we can use it? Do I
> need a well-digger or is there something we can do ourselves to
> "harvest" this water? Our old deep well went dry many years ago and
> the rural water piped from town isn't fit for man nor beast. Can
> anyone steer us to information regarding this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Marie in Missouri

  • well digging, sora, 09/30/2002