market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:42:16 -0600

I may have little in common with Farr, except I know he's right, and his
experience and information apparently never reaches the mainstream so you
can be forgiven for not knowing what he's referring to. Of course we have
underclasses, especially in agriculture, whose conditions are slavery in
every way but the name. And this has gone on continuously throughout our
history. Today it's undocumented aliens, indentured immigrants with their
passports stolen by employers, black families whose land was legally stolen
who must share crop to eat now, the colonias of south Texas--I could go on
and on. Ranchers tell me if you're ranching these days you're not working
for yourself, you're working for the government, for peanuts, and there's
no escape without losing everything.

But everyone should know by now that little is done in government that is
democratic, and little is done in agricultural policy that represents any "
basic structure in society that is enforced through laws that reflect the
moral beliefs of the citizens". I can't believe our citizens have such
rotten moral beliefs. You say "It is only when the citizens lose control
of the democratic process, that you move toward totalitarian regimes". I
certainly agree. You can go the next logical step and take note that U.S.
agricultural policy hasn't been responsive to the citizens for many decades
now, and follow through to your own conclusion.

U.S. agriculture in general is very far from the ideals of Jefferson, from
Wendell Berry and Kenny Ausubel of today. I feel market farming is basic to
bring back what's best in rural America.

"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers,
craftsmen, hunters, ranchers and artists, then the rich would have little
power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor rule: That was the American
dream," Ed Abbey wrote in his journal. From Earth Could Use Friends Like
Abbey, John Balzar in LA Times

paul & barb - on the continental divide
http://globalcircle.net