market-farming - Re: Launching a CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Anslow" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Launching a CSA
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:50:58 -0400

Clarence  --  We have made several 'selection' mistakes (two varieties of oriental eggplant, okra, half runner beans) and are bound to make more.  First you need to determine what will sell, how much of it will sell how fast, and then which items will bring the most return for your work.  Figure out what sells well at local farmer markets, farm stands, and such.  For us, it is peaches and red tomatoes (finally got some folks to buy German Stripes after giving one each to countless customers), but somehow we always end up planting so many other items.

We have a roadside stand at our farm, no ideas specific to CSA's.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Catawba Island, Ohio