market-farming - Re: Signange solution ??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Signange solution ??
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:40:00 -0400

I make 3" X 4" (or something like that size) On my computer and print
them out on card stock- I get 6 signs per sheet. I cut the signs out of
the sheet and than put double sided tape on a thin plastic plant marker
(I got 1000 from Nolt's Produce supply for about $7 intending them to be
plant markers and than got this idea) and put the card on the marker.

The cards themselves are not laminated because I print prices on them
and feel it is less wasteful to recycle paper than toss out paper
covered in plastic. I did use clear plastic shelf liner for awhile but
found rain got inside and ruined the cards. If you feel lamination is
necessary go for the real lamination and not the shelf paper.

My Cards say our farm name Boulder Belt Organics (24 pt Bold )at the top
than what the product is underneath (24 pt), than the price (12 pt) and
below that a description of the product or history or some fun fact or
use for it (9 or 8 pt). The background is colorful and the type is
either black or a complimentary color to the background so it catches
the eye.

Back to the plastic plant markers-these are stuck either in woven
baskets or in pint/quart tills, depending on what the item requires
(Things sold by the pound are in woven baskets or bug tubs. Things sold
by the box are in tills). The plastic plant markers are thin enough to
slide into all but the tightest weave. High winds do not blow them away
and customers don't knock them off the table.

Earlier this year I was using the same tags but in plastic table tents
(the acrylic placards that hold info on restaurant tables-you can side
cards in and out of them). We found sheets of acrylic in a pile of junk
last winter and my husband bent them to shape on the woodstove. These
work Okay (much better than nothing or clothes pins) but when we have
20+ items on a couple of 3 X 5 foot table often there is little room to
but out the signs in the plastic protectors.

If rain gets on the signs (which has not been a big problem this summer)
I just print out new ones before the next market and tape them over the
old ruined sign.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)

  • Re: Signange solution ??, Lucy Goodman, 09/01/2002