market-farming - Living mesclun salad bowls

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Living mesclun salad bowls
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 02:00:00 -0500

The farmer's market season is starting to wind down. Here in
Birmingham we have 4 more Saturdays left, then it's over until June of
next year. We've built up an incredibly loyal customer base who buys
our mesclun mix eery week without fail. We'd like to end the season
selling living mesclun salad bowls to give our customers one more
month of cut-and-come-again salads after the market ends.

Are any of you selling these?

What containers work well for you? I have heard of somebody in
Minneapolis selling them in clear round 8-12" wide x 1-2" high planter
bases, the kind you put under potted plants in the house to keep from
ruining the floors. I'm thinking of densely seeding large plugs,
staggered according to growout time, and then transplanting them into
the " bowls" in a couple of weeks. If there is a square or
rectangular container that works well I would prefer it as they fit in
my growing trays better and will transport more compactly.

Any suggestions based on experience would be appreciated. One other
question, should Iput drainage holes in these? Do people tend to
drown them if you don't?

Adriana

  • Living mesclun salad bowls, gutierrez-lagatta, 09/01/2002