market-farming - Re: GMO Corn and Famine

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: GMO Corn and Famine
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:33:12 -0500

Kevin,
I write to you, even though I sense some fedupness on the rest of the
list about topics other than individual food growing...

But, don't you find it strange that the USAID frames the situation as
"either eat GMO's or starve"? Aren't there other foods that could be sent
if there is any objection whatsoever about GMO's?

I don't know if you have followed this, but one of the reasons that
GMO's are used as aid foods is because they are being rejected in the
marketplace - and those that are trying to sell them can get remunerations
if they are used as aid food.

If you look into deals, such as the one struck below, there is money
changing hands somewhere, and you can bet that US companies are gaining in
some way. It is not altruism. Would that it were - I would have way more
respect.

I think it rather arrogant for the US to be sending foods that the rest
of the world doesn't want to starving people, and then getting mad when they
don't want it either - as if they weren't valuable enough to reject it.

Jill