market-farming - Re: Field bindweed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Goodaim AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Field bindweed
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:36:58 EDT

Best solution I can think of that might work on bindweed is an adaption of
the bare fallow method used by Anne and Eric Nordell in north central PA. We
used this technique on a half acre infested, and I mean completely overrun,
with Canadian thistle and had pretty good success. We cut the thistle back by
about 90 percent. The key is to sow a winter hardy cover crop in the fall in
the infested area or an early spring cover, we used oats and crimson clover,
to smother the heat loving weeds during the weakest part of their life cycle.

We then mowed the cover crop three of four times in early summer to
keep it in a vegetative state. We tried to time our mowing to coincide with
when the thistle went to a immature seed head to really weaken it at the most
vulnerable point in it life cycle. Bind weed probably flowers too late for
this to work but by mowing you can at least cut back its vegetative growth
and stress out the roots.
Around here in south eastern PA, we then tilled under the cover crop
in mid/late July. We then proceeded to disc the bare fallow ground every week
or so, or when ever weeds begin to germinate. This not only kills the just
germinated weeds, but the discing brings weed seed to the surface where they
are killed by exposure to weather, sunlight, birds, etc.
The final stage of the process is to sow another fast growing cover
after the 6-8 week bare fallow period. We try to time the planting so it
coincides with the change from warm to cool season growing coditions, around
here late August/Early September. This cover, hopefully, will outcompete the
weeds as the conditions favor the growth of the cover crop. It has so far
worked well for us at cleanly up some really nasty perenial weeds, and
annauls as well. It is a process, but whole farm problems require whole farm
solutions. Good Luck
John at Charlestown Cooperative Farm