market-farming - Re: Ginseng

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ginseng
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:27:35 -0500

Just plant in woods and ignore it. If you spray it at all I understand that
can be easily detected. There are pests that wipe out whole colonies making
some think they have to spray it and protect it.

Marienne Kreitlow wrote:

> Chris Sawyer wrote"
>
> >Cultivated ginseng fetches a much much lower price and it is prone to
> disease. I would wild craft it on your place if I were you and not get
> into cultivation
>
> Thanks Chris,
>
> Let me ask the dumb question: By "wild craft", do you mean forage for
> exisiting plants? There is a fellow who dabbles in that around here, but I
> have not as yet actually seen any ginseng on our property. If you mean
> plant it out in the woods and leave it alone for seven years or so, that's
> what I have in mind (I just have to keep that forager out of my woods!)
>
> Jerry Ford
> Hei-Low Farm
> Howard Lake, MN
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to as: css AT ioa.com
> leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • Ginseng, Marienne Kreitlow, 06/22/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Ginseng, pam, 06/22/2002
    • Re: Ginseng, Chris Sawyer, 06/23/2002
    • Re: Ginseng, Marienne Kreitlow, 06/24/2002
    • Re: Ginseng, Chris Sawyer, 06/26/2002