market-farming - Sturdy seed starting trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin L Burkholder <gleneco1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Sturdy seed starting trays
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:23:34 -0800

I have been wanting to order the "Perma-Nest" seed starting trays that
Harris Seeds have been carrying in their previoous catalogs. These are a
sturdy 22' x 11" heavy duty plastic tray that comes in tan and light
green and lasts for years. I would use them with the "Winstrip" molded
seed starting flats which work best with a bottom watering system. These
trays also work better when one wants to seed in an open tray without
inserts and needs something that won't sag when he wants to handle it.
When I finally got their catalog this morning I was chagrined to learn
that they have discontinued them this year.

I have been using the flimsy plastic trays which are commonly available
through many seed suppliers and garden supply centers, but they seldom
get through one season without getting holes snagged through their bottom
corners, destroying their functionality for bottom watering, and most are
ready for the trash bin after the second or third season even when I try
to take care of them.

Fedco has a tray that looks like it may work but it is pretty expensive
at over $6.00 per tray even if ordered in bunches. The ones formerly
carried by Harris Seeds were a little more than $3.00 per tray.

Does anyone know of another sourse for this brand or type of tray?
Another idea that may be worth exploring might be a large shallow tray
that could hold four or more flats at a time. This would probably need
to be custom made. I may buzz on in to Wal Mart or any of a number of
that type of store that carries all sorts of molded plastic storage
containers in a variety of sizes and shapes. If I could find something
of the right length and width dimensions, I could maybe cut it down to
the right depth.

Fishing for good creative ideas.
Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley in Virginia