market-farming - Re: Johnson Bed Shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Johnson Bed Shaper
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:24:13 -0500

I use a pair of hiller discs attached to a toolbar on the 3pt hitch to
make beds in my VA garden. I looked at "bedders" and I figure the
press-pan type would just make something like a low brick wall on my soil,
not to mention they seem to utilize compaction as the forming force. My
bedder works great for a basic tool, I do want to get a leveler bar put on
it, right now I still rake down the tops of the bed, but that's ok since I
use the hiller discs, then I usually make a furrow to put in org.
fertilizer in, then rake. For those of us with less equipment, it sure
beats hilling up by hand!!!!! Cost $500.

I'd give you a web site with a similar implement but my computer either
got hit by a virus or my hubby deleted the hard drive while fiddling
around with the operating system files and I hadn't backed anything up in
a long while! I think it was butraco.com (I tried this addy, and it isn't
right, but I did get it out of American Veg grower mag.)I think I've had
this discussion before on this list, check the archive.

Amy
Johnson's Produce Patch
Long Island VA
akjedj AT gamewood.net