market-farming - Re: Johnson Bed Shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Johnson Bed Shaper
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:53:37 -0500

I'm definitely interested in knowing more, Alex. One thing that concerns me is that our heavy soils here do not hill up in the least after being spaded, so it's not a simple issue of 'shaping.' The bedshapers I've looked at have hilling disks at the front and rear of them and some sort of 'leveler' bar atop a pair of 'ibeams.' I may be having false memories, but I seem to recollect that the shapers were also rather long.

I'd like to know more about your. (No, I don't make it to SAWG...it's one of those NORTHERN VIRGINIA things, you know.)

-Allan

What kind of tillage equipment do you use? I have a friend who uses a
spader. It gave him a nice bed, but his beds are on a slight slope and the
soil kept spilling onto his paths on the downhill side of his beds,
requiring shoveling and reshaping after tillage.

I helped him solve this by designing some heavy sheet steel sides to add on
to his spader frame. He had a local shop fabricate them. Now he does his
tillage and bed shaping in one pass.