market-farming - Re: Veggie transport to market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Veggie transport to market
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:07:00 -0500

If you are looking for transportation of Tom's to market [as opposed to
delivery] you can't do better than the flat plastic tomato trays [hold 15
lb.] that the Dutch and Belgians use to ship into the U.S. in mid winter.
You can buy them new here ['C.S.A. Works' in MA] but if you keep your eyes
open they can be had for next to nothing from upscale retailers. They are
glad to pass them on to save dumpster space. They are intended to be reused
and I have had 150 for 5 years with the only breakage being from being
driving over. We harvest into 5 gl. buckets half to two thirds full then
clean and sort into the trays. We stack them up to eight feet high. Also can
be used for greenhouse Cuc's, S. Squash and garlic.
David Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.