market-farming - Hoop Houses again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Hoop Houses again
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:24:32 -0500

I'm installing a small hoop house (an Atlas 'cold frame') It's about 36 ft long. I seem to remember that it's important to 'bury' sheet insulation on the outside of the greenhouse to prevent ice from creeping through the soil into the greenhouse if one is 4 season gardening. Furthermore, I seem to remember that those sheets of insulation should be canted at certain angles to further prevent pentration by the winter cold.

Can anyone tell me how think the insulation should be, how deeply it should be buried and what is the best angle to 'cant' it at?

Thanks!

-Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co, VA

  • Hoop Houses again, Allan Balliett, 12/22/2001