market-farming - Re:Pea trellising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Pea trellising
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:30:08 -0400

We use 4' to 6' fencing tied (or we also weave the stakes thru the
fence) to fence stakes sunk every 8' or so for our peas. It doesn't take
long to put up the fencing and it will last for decades and is fairly
cheap (real cheap if you get the fencing equip used). We don't drive the
stakes into the ground for the long term so they are pretty easy to get
out of the ground when you want to move them.

I have used the plastic netting and find it can be a pain as it gets
tangled in storage (much like christmas lights-you put them away in what
you thought was an orderly manner and than when you need them they are a
mess.) and will last at best 4 years.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)

  • Re:Pea trellising, Lucy Owsley, 10/17/2001