market-farming - Sorrel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sorrel
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:24:35 -0500

Regards to the List:

Hello everyone! My bakery is coming along nicely - the building is being remodeled and I've gathered lots of recipes. I'm looking at a November opening and hope to sell 500 Thanksgiving pies. :-) One of the categories of offerings will be "Desserts From the Garden." You know, just about every bakery item could be in that category, but I'm thinking about pumpkin pie, carrot cake, zucchini muffins and bread, fruit pizza and so on. We have TONS of green tomatoes! I am thinking about making green tomato mincemeat for pies later on.

Funny thing; NOW that I don't care if I have them or not, I'm getting CSA customers for next year. One of them has asked for sorrel. I may be wrong, but I think it grows wild in these parts. Can anyone please tell me what they know about growing sorrel and how it is used? I don't know how to recognize it. So far, I've not found anything in any of my books.

Isn't it a beautiful time of year with the trees changing colors, the mums blooming in all their glory and the delightful pumpkins stacked in spicy piles along the road? *sigh*

Marie in Missouri