market-farming - Re: [market-farming]on farm sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [market-farming]on farm sales
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:14:45 -0700

From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
What method of selling on the farm do you find the least stressful but
generates some traffic? CSA, Farm stand, pick your own, subscription
farming (am I missing any?) Why do you prefer this method? Thank you,
Sue

Hi Sue, we've been advertising in the paper and on the roadside as bulk farm sales and have been doing well with it this year, we also sell at the farmer's market. Since there is only 2 of us operating the 5 acre garden we find that this is all the time that we have for sales, and yes it is less stressful. We used to have an older lady that would help out at the fruitstand but she became ill and so we sell to the customers that drop by what we may have picked, but generally we take orders from the customers, they seem happy with this. I think I should make it clear that our farm is in town (approx population of 120,000), so they don't come a long distance to see what we have - this form of sales would not do well if the customer had to travel. Also I know we would do a lot more in sales if we had someone we could trust to run the stand. Jacqueline