market-farming - Huckleberries as a trap plant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Huckleberries as a trap plant
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 04:32:52 -0500

Joan,
Since you have the bettles more or less isolated on your huckleberry
plants you may try more aggressive perst control measures with them.
A greenhouse consultant told me that they used to grow fuscia plants
in greenhouses which would attract aphids. Every so often they would
douse the plant with chemicals, then put it back in the greenhouse to
attract more....In your case you can use organic methods but perhaps
more frequently than you would with orther plants and if there is a
risk of damaging the plant a bit it may be worth it.