market-farming - milky spore

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nancy Haycock" <nhaycock AT dmcom.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: milky spore
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:33:19 -0400

We have suffered from an excessive number of moles,followed by voles, riddling our beds with tunnels.  We thought that by limiting the moles' food supply (grubs?), we might have a chance to stop this "food chain" at least for next year or in two years by applying milky spore disease to the soil.  We have only heard about this method and don't know if it is sound or truly organic OR could cause any other problems down the line.  Is there any hazard that you know of to using this spore?  It's also an expensive additive, so if it's not so useful we would forego it.

Thanks, Nancy at Hand in Hand Farm, Hobart, NY

  • milky spore, Nancy Haycock, 07/17/2001