market-farming - Re: market-farming Chemical Drift

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Chemical Drift
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:52:38 -0400

This was one of the reasons I selected a hardscrabble hilltop farm instead of one down in the river valley (next to all those sprayed fields).

Then the guy who owned the vacant land to the north built an auction house and a home. Not too bad.

Except that despite repeated warnings from the EPA, he continues to periodically get rid of auction leftovers in an open incinerator pit -- usually when the wind brings it right over my raised beds and into my house. He almost always starts the fire just before dark on a day with rain forecast for the next day so nobody will notice the smoke, I guess.

Beyond the fact that my gardens are organic (though not certified), I have asthma and multiple chemical sensitivities. I started having trouble breathing almost immediately, my eyes were swollen almost shut the next morning, and my joints are still swollen to almost three times their normal size (and yes they hurt and no I'm not getting much work done this week). God only knows what long-term damage he did to me with that fire.

I really don't want to get into a war with my next-door neighbor -- especially since he's now the dog warden and my young dog does wander over there to visit once in a while when I think she's with me in the field.

But suffering in silence is likely to kill me.

Why the heck people can't just have some consideration for the lives of their neighbors is just beyond my comprehension.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove