market-farming - Advertising (long)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "WB Carver" <wbcarver AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Advertising (long)
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:32:31 -0400

Hi All,

After following the thread on advertising. The relative merits, whether
to go big or not etc.

A quick qualifier: For many years I was in heavy construction and had a
successful mechanical construction business in upstate NY. There came a
point where I made a decision to sell out and move to NC, to "Semi-retire"
and enjoy a quieter lifestyle. So not all of us aspire to go national with
our marketable produce.

This is my take on it. Yes, advertising has value. And I do agree you
often are better to pay the money for professional layout and design. Yes,
you do get what you pay for. (If you are lucky and shop well) It IS very
often money well spent to go with a professional. Their work can usually be
reused in a variety of media. (Ask me about the wonderful logo I designed
for one of my other businesses that looks great on paper or the web, but
WILL NOT break down to a four color layout and can't be used for much of
anything else. <frown>)

And they know the ins and outs of what sells.

On the other hand... If you are after a share of a local market, and are
a little creative, you can come up with many low dollar ways to market your
wares that WILL work. It is also amazing what word of mouth can do for you
in a small community.
Don't under rate the value of the local diner or Mom & Pop grocery as a
clearing house for information. A little good will from places like that
goes a long way in a small town. We make it a practice to stop for a
breakfast, lunch or just a cold drink once or twice a week at the local cafe
just down the street from our farm. They like us and are beginning to
mention us around. They also have a table with flyers and business cards
that gets lots of activity.

So I guess, I am saying. Your advertising needs depend on your chosen
market. To make a blanket statement that you need to advertise big. Or that
it doesn't pay to advertise at all.... Well, it is kinda short sighted.

All this reminds me of the story of the Business man and the fisherman.
If you don't know the story it is below. If you do, you already know what
I mean.

The Businessman and the Fisherman.

There once was a fisherman sitting quietly on a tropical beach with a single
pole in the water. A vacationing businessman approached him and asked about
his apparent lack of productivity. The conversation progressed as follows.

Businessman: Why do you sit on the beach with only one pole in the water?
Have you no more ambition than that?

Fisherman: I sit here and I enjoy the sound of the water and smell of the
salt air. I catch a few fish so I have something to eat. When I catch more
than I can eat, I sell them to the local fish house for a few dollars so I
can buy more bait and the few things I need to live comfortably. My life is
simple, my needs are few, so I am happy.

Businessman: But, don't you see my friend, if you were to use several poles
you could increase your catch dramatically.

Fisherman: And for what reason would I wish to do this?

Businessman: With your increased catch you could sell many more fish and
then make some real money.

Fisherman: And for what reason would I wish to do this?

Businessman: With the extra money you could buy a boat and then you could
increase your catch many fold as well as have a greater variety of fish to
sell.

Fisherman: And for what reason would I wish to do this?

Businessman: With the extra income you could buy more boats and really
increase your income.

Fisherman: And for what reason would I wish to do this? I am alone and
could only sail one boat at a time.

Businessman: (Slightly exasperated by this point) DON'T YOU SEE? You don't
have to run all the boats yourself. You would have the money to hire
employees to fish for you. Then you would make more money than you could
ever dream of earning just sitting here by yourself with one pole.

Fisherman: And for what reason would I wish to do this?

Businessman: (Nearly at wits end) Then you would be wealthy and you could
sell all the boats and retire on the profits.

Fisherman: Oh, now I see. Then I would be able to relax and sit here by the
water and catch a few fish to eat and when I had extra I could sell them to
the local fish market. Then my life would be simple and my needs few and so
I would be happy...

My Note:

Are you happy???

I am even if I am...
Knee deep in mud in NC,

Bill Carver
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield, NC
wbcarver AT marketfarming.com
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

  • Advertising (long), WB Carver, 06/01/2001